Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sundays in My City: Kickin' it Old School

Unknown Mami


We are traveling the world together with the Unknown Mami.
Click on the button to follow our photographic journey!
I am joining you from Middletown, Ohio, just north of Cincinnati.

Perhaps a better title for this post would be,
"Kickin' DOWN the Old School".
Today's photos are of our neighborhood elementary school,
both past and present.




Mayfield Elementary was first built in 1939. (Photo retrieved from oldohioschools.com)

A few years ago the city demolished and rebuilt several elementary schools. One day I stopped and took a few pictures during the demolition. I had no idea why at the time, but I'm glad I did!




Here is the new building, erected in 2006:






I'm sure the new building has great air conditioning and is wired for new technology,
but I am a sucker for old buildings. I kinda miss the old one.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. It is a very pretty school. I know it is hard to enjoy the new when the old is just so architecturally pretty! : ) Loved your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in northern Ohio and smiled at these photos. They look a lot like the school I attended-- old and new.

    Thanks for sharing.
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new one is lovely, but I'm a sucker for old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new one is lovely but there is a tint of a copycat of the old. Makes you longed for the old.

    Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, too bad they couldn't find a way to make the old one work.
    It still is a beautiful school today, but the old just has so much more personality.
    Thanks for sharing some of Ohio with me. My dad and i travelled often to Cincinnati to watch football games (i am originally from ontario). It's been awhile since i was there last however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the nostalgia of the old buildings, but as a teacher, I prefer proper heating and ventilation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Mrs 4444, to the letter. Cool pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments!