Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Update on One Little Word 2012: Health

I didn't follow through with my One Little Word album this year, but I have been reflecting this past week on what I have accomplished toward my goal of health. Some things were deliberate, and some just luck. What else can I do in these last few months of the year?

Physical health- Through some rough medical treatments, time, and a little luck, I am now in remission from Meniere's disease and Relapsing Polychondritis. I returned to work in December of last year. I have worked hard to lose over 50 pounds so far, and have been able to discontinue two of my medications. Good progress here!

Mental health- Feeling good physically has definitely helped my mental outlook as well. I can't think of anything I've really put into practice to help in this area. To do: re-establish weekly "Thankful Thursday" posts. This is such a great way to keep perspective.

Relationship health- I think I've done a great job here this year. My family and I took a long-anticipated vacation to Disney World this past spring, and we all had a great time! We made some great memories that will last for years to come. I (only partially willingly) took a new position at work, and I've worked for months to accept the realities of my new job. Some of the benefits are that I am able to establish a different sort of relationship with the families I support, and build new professional connections as well. My husband and I just celebrated our 12 year anniversary with a quick get-away. We considered various locations, but in the end we consciously spent our time at a secluded cabin. This trip was about US, not about doing stuff.

Financial health- I admit, the report is not so great here. Sure, we're paying all the bills and afforded a couple of vacations this year, but our savings is still stagnant. To do: make a plan to boost up that account a little- E-bay? Making and selling cards or crochet projects? Yard sale?

I have three more months to focus on health, and I'm looking forward to what I can accomplish. I hope that health continues to linger in my mind, as calm (my One Little Word from 2011) has thus far. A few ideas are percolating pertaining to next year's word, too! Some seem obvious to me, but one or two words caught me by surprise but are persistently creeping into my conscious- one of these words keeps popping up in my blog posts. Can you guess what it is?

Do you have a special word or quote that helps move you forward?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm - now you're going to make me go back & read your posts to see if I can guess. Planning might be the word, or intentionality, or perspective...

    I have GOT to work on my weight. I just let myself get so sidetracked - AND I have trouble denying myself whatever I want. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear you are In remission, Bekah! I can not wait to hear about your Disney trip! I am itching to get back with the boys this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments!