Saturday, July 28, 2012

Book Review: The Memory of You by Laurie Kellogg

The Memory of You The Memory of You by Laurie Kellogg
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Even though overall I enjoyed this book, I had to rate it as just "OK" because so much of it was unbelievable. This book was recommended for fans of The Lucky One (Nicholas Sparks), so that's why I picked it up for my Kindle. They are both about war veterans searching for healing and love, but that's really the only similarity.

Matt is a Vietnam vet who has lost his memory of everything in his life prior to becoming a POW- his name, his childhood, his wife. When his identity is finally discovered, he tracks down his wife, Abby, to make sure she is happy. He intends on letting her live her life as it has become, and go about his merry way. So far, so good. Sad, but believable.

Upon seeing her with their son and a new man, Matt's resolve falters. He keeps his identity a secret, calling himself Mac, and convinces Abby to let him move in as a handy man. This is where you really have to suspend belief... a single mother lets a total stranger move in, develop a close relationship with her son, and talk her out of marrying her fiance. Wow.

I will admit the passion and connection Matt and Abby rediscover is beautiful to witness, as is Matt's bonding with the son he never knew. The build-up to Abby realizing who this stranger really is ends with a disappoiting revelation- it just lacked the drama I thought was sure to happen. The characters themselves are likable-mostly. Abby's huge, trusting heart borders on stupidity, and Matt clings to his made-up name and motives just a little too long to be considered selfless.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments!