Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Writer's Workshop: What's in a Name?


My first name is Rebekah, taken from the Old Testament. Here is some information I found on the internet:

REBECCA



Gender: Feminine


Usage: English, Italian, Swedish, Biblical, Biblical Latin


Pronounced: rə-BEK-ə (English), re-BEK-kah (Italian) [key]


From the Hebrew name רִבְקָה (Rivqah), possibly meaning "a snare" in Hebrew, or perhaps derived from an Aramaic name. This was the name of the wife of Isaac and the mother of Esau and Jacob in the Old Testament. It came into use as a Christian name after the Protestant Reformation, and it was popular with the Puritans in the 17th century.

My sisters and I were all given Biblical names, as my mother was a religious person. I don't think the meaning of the names were a factor in her choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments!